Monday, January 30, 2006

Back From Austria




I flew in Saturday afternoon. The flights weren't bad but being in a tin can for more than 4 hours in economy class is just brutal. I think if I have ever take another trans-atlantic flight, I'll upgrade to first class. Also the descent on approach to Pearson was brutal on the sinus'. The pilot must have dropped altitude faster than usual because it felt like someone was tightening my sinus' with a vise grip! I noticed I wasn't the only one because I saw a lot a people around me also wincing in pain. But the landing was one of the smoothest I've ever felt. (By the way if you are planning any international flights, get there the 3 hours early because most of those flights are leaving from the temporary infield terminal they built while they expand Terminal 1. They have to bus you across the tarmac to get you there, so your dodging planes and work trucks.)

Anyway, Austria itself was a very beautiful place, as you can see from the pictures. But I was there for business, so sightseeing was very limited. We were in the middle of Austria, about 200km from Vienna and 50km from Linz. The area where we stayed was beautiful, with the mountains in the background(since they weren't the alps, the locals refer to them as more of hills. They should see what we in Hamilton call a "mountain"!! They'd have a good laugh!). As well our training finished at 4:30pm, and pretty much everything, aside from some local pubs, closes at 5pm!! At least we were given a company car to drive ourselves around and take in some of the local sights. Also we were lucky enough to have the driver who was driving us to the airport hotel for our one night in Vienna to give us a bit of a driving tour of the city. You want beauty and history? A week isn't enough to take the city all in! I got some pics (that beige building is where the Treaty of Versailles was signed, officially ending the First World War).

But one thing. It was bloody cold!!! We got there and Europe was going through a deep freeze! I spent about an hour walking around Vienna, and then I had to head back because I was freezing!!

Well it's good to be home... in Conservative minority Canada! We'll see what the future brings!! Cheers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rumour has it that you were a real hit with the locals in the bath houses.